Last visit: December 2012
I really like San Antonio. I’ve spent most of my visiting time in and around Downtown, it is compact and walkable. It is definitely an old school town. A lot of tradition and values.
- Esquire – Oldest bar on the Riverwalk. Huge wood bar.
- Brooklynite – New up and comer. Opened by Jeret Pena and Rob formerly of the Esquire. Call ahead, get a reservation and secure yourself a spot.
- Beethoven’s – great biergarten, German beer on tap and brauts. My lady friend was hit on by a Vietnam era vet who brought his own stein to the bar.
- The Friendly Spot – big patio, friendly people, huge beer selection, $2 PBRs.
- Schilo’s – Classic German food, great little deli in the heart of Downtown. Also groot house root beer. Seriously.
- Mary Ann’s Pig Stand – A little diner just outside of downtown. Great greasy spoon.
- Penner’s Men’s Clothing – Amazing apparel store. They will fit you for a suit on the spot, and all the alterations are included in the cost of the suit. They delivered my perfectly fitted suit to my hotel room in 4 hours flat.
Come on, it is San Antonio, you have to go to the Alamo.